Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Girls vs. Society



Hey guys. I really wasn't planning on writing anything and was going to edit A Princess' Tears, but I just couldn't get this off my mind and felt this was too important to leave unsaid. Today after breakfast, I got dressed into a tank top, a skirt and put my hair up into a ponytail. And when I walked downstairs, the first words out of my mom's mouth were, "Why are you so dressed up? It's summer!" I was shocked. She didn't even say that I looked nice or something. I replied back, "What? Just because I'm wearing a skirt means I'm suddenly dressed up?" My mom shrugged. "Well, skirts are usually uncommon during the summer." That's when I left to go back up to my room and change. But it's not just today, she says "why are you so dressed up?" every time I wear a skirt or a dress or something I feel happy to wear! But what hit me the most was "skirts are usually uncommon during the summer". Like, what, you WANT me to dress common? You want me to be like everyone else?! It's not just things like this that make me sick, it's the fact that girls are constantly judged over every single little detail. What we say, what we do, what we look like, what we sound like, how we dress, etc! Meanwhile, boys can walk out into the world shirtless, and not get judged for crap. While girls get sent to the office in school to change because our shoulders or bra straps are showing. And I really hate being scared to try out a new outfit because I'll get judged for it (at school, OR at home). I know I'd get judged for being different at school, and judged for being 'dressed up' at home. I mean, for once in my life, can I just wear what I want and not be judged for it?! Can I just be happy?! It just really makes me upset and sad that this is the world we live in. And I've tried excepting it, but I just can't. I don't wanna live in a world where we discriminated against sex, race, species, etc. Studies show that 4/5 girls will be insecure of their bodies. I wonder why...

No comments:

Post a Comment